Feb 26, 2009

Rape is cheaper than bullets

The words sound like an advert, promoting rape. The article in the Guardian makes the argument that

if it's offensive then that is nothing compared to what hundreds of thousands of women and girls are suffering in conflict zones around the world.


But what good is throwing a third of women who see that poster under the bus to raise awareness? What is the good in advertising rape? It doesn't help the girls and women suffering in conflict zones. Presumably this is a donate campaign. But the willingness of Amnesty to trample of the feelings of the 1 in 3 women who have been raped, makes me less inclined to donate.

As for the poster itself it is offensive yes but not offensive in a manner that would change attitudes. If I thought that the poster could do something, anything to relieve the suffering of women and girls in the conflict zone I would shout it from the rooftops. I'm all about ending violence towards women. I am all for ending rape (been raped twice myself) but this campaign looks like it is offering a viable alternative to purchasing bullets. Not many people read the fine print.

Amnesty is willing to trigger a third of the female population to advertise what appears to be monetary saving for arms dealers. Doesn't sound like much of a human rights organisation to me.

I was a communications professional before depression and I worked in a developing world country in Asia with high incidence of rape and domestic abuse. This campaign would have contributed less than nothing to those women and girls. I'm all for raising awareness and pouring money into campaigns but this is irresponsible and offensive.

h/t Cara

No comments: