Among the measures included in an options paper prepared for Minister for Social and Family Affairs Mary Hanafin on ways of tightening eligibility for welfare schemes are:
- Means-testing payments for dependants of recipients of social insurance-based payments, such as the job seeker’s benefit, carer’s benefit and State contributory pension;
- Abolishing the entitlement to two social welfare payments at the same time, eg lone parent’s allowance, the half-rate carer’s allowance and widow/widower’s payments
- Abolishing or reducing additional allowances, such as the “living alone allowance”, paid to older people on social welfare;
- Axing the universal entitlement of over-70s to household benefits such as a free TV licence; telephone allowances; electricity allowances;
- Reducing payments such as fuel allowance and household benefits such as electricity and gas benefits.
Cos slashing the payments of vunerable people is what this government does best. Out, vile jelly! Where is thy lustre now?
h/t Cedar Lounge